Promoting Quality Living Standards in ASEAN Cities/Urban Areas
Ensure cities/urban areas in ASEAN are environmentally sustainable, while meeting the social and economic needs of the people.
1. Expand the existing work under the ASEAN Initiative on Environmentally Sustainable Cities;
2. Intensify individual and collective efforts to improve the quality of air and water within ASEAN through regional or national initiatives to reduce industrial and transportation pollutions;
3. Share experiences, expertise and technology in areas such as urban planning including transportation, green building, water management, urban greenery and urban biodiversity, conservation, sanitation and waste management, 3Rs (Reduce, Reuse and Recycle) and air, noise, water, and land pollution control, through among others twinning cities programme;
4. Work towards initiatives such as “Low Carbon Society”, “Compact Cities”, “Eco-Cities” and “Environmentally Sustainable Transport”
5. Develop internationally comparable measures for environmental sustainability for major cities in ASEAN by 2015;
6. Introduce and implement an ASEAN Environmentally Sustainable Cities (ESC) Award by 2008 as an incentive to promote ESC practices.
Tuesday, 2 February 2016
ASEAN CITIES DEVELOPMENT AND ASEAN SOCIO-CULTURAL COMMUNITY (ASCC)
Currently, I am working with PLANMalsysia - Federal Department of Town and Country Planning, Peninsular Malaysia, Ministry of Urban Wellbeing, Housing and Local Government. I have more than 20 years experience in urban and regional planning. Major involvement in Landuse Planning, Development Planning, Sustainability Assessment (SA) in Development Plans, Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) and Social Impact Assessment (SIA). However, I am now on study leave for 4 years to pursue my PhD Program at National University of Malaysia (UKM) under Public Service Department Scholarships. I create this research blog in order to build a new network all over the world with PhD students,lecturers and researchers who involved research work especially in development science, urban planning, urban governance, urban economic and globalization. PhD is an original contribution to knowledge.