1. What 2 word concept does Bob Jessop use to explain the rescaling of state power?
2. In which 3 directions has state power been rescaled? example 2 are obvious but what is the 3rd?
3. What 3 terms does Bob Jessop attach to the 3 directions that state power has been rescaled?
4. Have Bob Jessop and Neil Brenner's paths crossed? (look at their biographies - webpage’s online!) Have they collaborated, and if so, who else has been involved and what have they done?
5. Who do Bob Jessop and Neil Brenner draw their main inspiration from? You are looking for one person in Neil's case and two in Bob's; example could this explain their slightly different take on the same topic?
6. Where did Neil Brenner visit to get inspiration for NSS? (see intro/preface to NSS) nb most of it is based on studying one part of the world. Why do you think this area of the world was a good place to study? What was going on during the late 1980s through the 1990s when Neil was there?
7. Which major geographical debate of the last decade has Neil Brenner been involved in? Does this link into any of the concepts/debates covered in this block of lectures?
8. Why do they both talk about 'governance' and not 'government'? What is the difference - how does it fit into what you know from lectures? Think pre-1970 and post-1970.